Some frequently asked questions about the
National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE)
Q. How many questions are there in the NBDHE?
There are 350 multiple-choice examination questions in total, these can be divided into 2 groups:
- 200 questions in Component A (Scientific Basis for Dental Hygiene Practice, Provision of Clinical Dental Hygiene Services and Community Health/Research Principles).
- 150 questions in Component B (12 to 15 dental hygiene patient cases).
Q. What do the patient cases look like in the NBDHE?
- There are 12-15 case studies.
- Each case study will have 4 components: dental charts, patient profile, radiographs, photographs. You will have to go through the tabs to answer the questions.
- StudentRDH mock exam replicates the format of the NBDHE with the 4 tabs.
- Here is an example directly from StudentRDH mock exam:
Study with StudentRDH and unlock all the case studies.
“StudentRDH mock exam helped me so much! The format on the real exam is so similar!” – Emily Poirier (passed!)
Q. What is the schedule on the day of the NBDHE?
- The exam day will be scheduled as follows:
- Optional tutorial – 15 minutes
- Session one (Discipline-based items, 200 items) – 3.5 hours
- Optional schedule break – 1 hour
- Session two (Patient case items, 150 items) – 4 hours
- Optional post-examination – 15 minutes
- Total time – 9 hours
- If you take a break at any other time, it will be considered an “unscheduled” break.
Q. How can I cancel or reschedule the NBDHE?
- You may cancel or reschedule electronically at pearsonvue.com/nbdhe/ 24 hours prior the scheduled testing date.
Want to see if StudentRDH can help you? Do the FREE Trial first. NO payment needed, completely RISK-FREE.
Q. Will I receive a score or is it pass/fail result for the NBDHE?
- The results for the NBDHE will be reported as pass only for candidates who pass the test.
- Candidates who fail the examination will receive numerical scores for each of the major disciplines covered on the test.
Q. If I fail the NBDHE, what can I do?
- You can request an audit if you fail your exams. You have to request it within 30 days of the reporting of the official report results.
- The audit will re-check the accuracy of the exam.
- The fee is $65. You may request the audit via mail.
- Audits require approximately 6-8 weeks.
But don’t worry. You will NOT fail if you study with StudentRDH. We have a 100% pass rate in 2015. And we GUARANTEE you will PASS (or refund). That’s how confident we are!
(Disclaimer: StudentRDH is NOT affiliated with the NBDHE, NDHCE, CSCE, CDCA, WREB.)